FERGUSON Family Tree
with links to British India
? FERGUSON married ??, children.
John FERGUSON on 21 Sep 1855 in Greenock Old or West, Renfrew, Scotland married Jane SLIMMOND, children:
John Archibald Russell Ferguson (b 11 June 1856, Middle Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland)
William Ferguson (b 12 Apr 1861, Middle Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
Mary Cameron Ferguson (b 6 Nov 1862 Middle or New Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland)
Henrietta Ferguson (b 23 Nov 1864 Middle or New Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland)
Alexander Ferguson (b 17 Nov 1865, Middle or New Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland)
Charles Ferguson (b 21 Dec 1866, Middle or New Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland)
John Archibald Russell FERGUSON (b 1856) at 23yrs on 14 Oct 1879 in Calcutta married 21yr Jane SIMPSON (b 1858 daughter of William Simpson), children:
Edwin Thomas Ferguson (b 20 April 1874 Kidderpore)
Archibald Russell Ferguson (b 12 Apr 1878 Kidderpore)
Mary Isabella Ferguson (b 25 Jul 1880)
John Archibald Ferguson (b 2 Aug 1881 Calcutta, d 27 Feb 1882, age 1)
Jean Boyd Russell Monk Ferguson (b 6 Aug 1882, Calcutta)
Agnes Simpson Ferguson (b 27 Apr 1885 Calcutta)
John William Ferguson (b 2 Jul 1888)
Jessie Ferguson (b 20 Jun 1893 Calcutta)
Barbara Ferguson (b 12 Oct 1896 Calcutta)
Edwin Thomas FERGUSON (b 20 April 1874 Kidderpore, d 14 Jan 1930 Calcutta) at 29yrs on 14 Dec 1903 in Kidderpore married 20yr Mildred Emily SMYTHE (b 7 Aug 1883 daughter of Lionel A Maddison and Louisa Amelia Smythe, sister of Halford Lionel Smythe of Calcutta)
Jean Boyd Russell FERGUSON (b 6 Aug 1882, Calcutta) ????? on 26 Apr 1875 in Kidderpore married Edwin MONK (b 1852 son of William John Robert Monk), children:
William John Robert Monk (22 Feb 1876 Kidderpore)
Henry Edwin Major Monk (b 22 Jul 1878 Rangoon)
(Edwin Monk married widow 28yr widow Edith Annie MURDOCK (b 1859 daughter of Charles Hooper Nicholas) on 16 Aug 1887 in Rangoon)
Jean Boyd Russell Monk FERGUSON (b 6 Aug 1882, Calcutta) at 19yrs on 8 Jan 1902 in Calcutta married 27yr Bower Henry Helps WATSON (b 1875 son of Joseph Watson), children:
Jean Emma Dorothy Watson (b 2 Mar 1903 Kidderpore)
John Herbert (b 26 Dec 1904 Calcutta)
info from Gwen Rider firstname.lastname@example.org
1. James (MacGregor) Ferguson (b.c. Barony Lanarkshire Scotland Oct 1801)
James (MacGregor) FERGUSON (b.c. Barony Lanarkshire Scotland Oct 1801) In November 1820 joined the 2nd Dragoons (Royal Scots Greys). On 25th July 1828 he was transferred to the 13th Light Dragoons Serial Number 256 and went to India. On 1st March 1840 he was transferred to the 15th Kings Hussars. He was discharged on medical grounds on 18th January 1848 and on 25/4/1848 received a pension TNA Reference - WO/120 Vol 69 p.52 Queen's Pensioner. Died 11th January 1849 and was buried in St Marks Cemetery Bangalore India. 1st Marriage on 21/7/1830 at St Marks Church Bangalore to Mary RUSSELL (b 15/9/1815, d 28/11/1835) Their Children:
Jane Ferguson (b 2 Sep 1831)
Isabella Ferguson (b 25 Oct 1833, d 8 April 1872. In 1850, Isabella became a mistress at Mitralaya Girl's High School at 3 Mission Rd, Bangalore which was built in 1842.
Adelaide Ferguson (b 21 Nov 1835, d 22 Nov 1835)
James (MacGregor) FERGUSON (b.c. Barony Lanarkshire Scotland Oct 1801) widower, on 25 Sep 1840 at St Marks Church Bangalore married Harriett ? (b 3 Oct 1818, d 7 Mar 1903 Andrews, Madras, age 85. Local name Chinnema, Joined the Ferguson household possibly as a nanny/servant sometime during 1831 1833, Baptised and took the Name Harriett 3/10/1836. Their Children:
1. Archibald Ferguson (b 11/5/1837 Bangalore India D 1925 Merrickville NSW, Australia)
2. James Ferguson (b 3 May 1839 Bangalore India D 1918 NSW, Australia)
3. Mary Jane Ferguson (B 28/6/1842 Bangalore India D?)
4. Elizabeth Ferguson (b 9/12/1843 Bangalore D 29/9/1916 India)
5. Agnes Walker Ferguson (b15/9/1845 Bangalore India d 6/11/1847 Bangalore India)
6. Charles Robert MacGregor Ferguson (B 12/9/1847 Bangalore India D 14/3/1920 Jolapret Salem Madras India).
7. George Ferguson (B 2/9/1840 Bangalore D 6/5/1842 Bangalore India)
Archibald FERGUSON (b 11/5/1837 Bangalore India D 1925 Merrickville NSW, Australia), arrived in NSW Australia in November 1854 as a carpenter. On 17/10/1859 at Shoalhaven NSW Australia married Elizabeth Rose Holden McCULLOUGH (b 10/6/1842 NSW Australia - d 1885 NSW Australia), they had 11 children.
1. Charles R Ferguson (B 1860 Shoalhaven NSW Australia)
2. Archibald C Ferguson (b 1862 Forbes NSW Australia d 15/3/1932 Merrickville NSW)
3. Florence Ferguson (b 1863 Forbes NSW Australia)
4. Ada Ferguson (b 1865 Forbes NSW Australia d 1941 North Sydney, NSW Australia).
5. James A Ferguson (b 1867 Forbes NSW Australia)
6. Albert George Ferguson (b 1870 Young NSW Australia d 1871 Young NSW Australia)
7. Andrew O Ferguson (b 1872 Young NSW Australia)
8. Allan George Edward Ferguson (b 1874 Bathurst NSW Australia)
9. Adelaide Isabella Ferguson (b 1876 Forbes NSW Australia)
10. Minna Agnes Ferguson (b 1879 Forbes NSW Australia d 22/7/1954 Bondi NSW Australia).
11. Elsie Ferguson (b 1882 Forbes NSW Australia)
James FERGUSON (b 3/5/1839 Bangalore India D 1918 NSW, Australia) Arrive in NSW Australia November 1854 is a domestic and married Anne WILLIAMS 1864 Parramatta NSW Australia.
Mary Jane FERGUSON (B 28/6/1842 Bangalore India D?) Possibly married a John DIAMOND 19/8/1862 Vepery Madras India
Elizabeth FERGUSON (b 9/12/1843 Bangalore D 29/9/1916 India) on 22/7/1863 in Vepery Madras India Married William Richard EVANS (b 1/11/1841 Vellore Madras India) they had 10 Children
1. Alice Gertrude Evans (3/10/1864 Poodoopettah Madras India d 13/2/1873 Bangalore India)
2. Samuel Fredrick Evans (Lieutenant Colonel) (b 17/9/1866 Madras India)
3. William Arthur Robert Lowe Evans (b 15/3/1869 Ootacamund, Madras, India d 11/5/1935 Podamur, Madras, India)
4. Charles Ferguson Evans (B 12/9/1871 Ootacamund, Madras, India d 16/12/1930)
5. Ada Winifred Evans (b 14/5/1873 Ootacamund, Madras, India 0 d 1/9/1874 Ootacamund, Madras, India)
6. Henry Ernest Evans (b 13/2/1875 Ootacamund, Madras, India)
7. Albert Mervyn Evans (b 3/9/1876 Cocanda Madras India)
8. Grace Edith Evans (b 3/1/1879 Coonoor Madras India)
9. Thomas James Stanley Evans (b 5/3/1881 Madras, Madras, India)
10. Elizabeth Gertrude Evans (b 6/10/1887 Madras Madras India)
Charles Robert MacGregor FERGUSON (B 12/9/1847 Bangalore India D 14/3/1920 Jolapret Salem Madras India) 1st Marriage on 30 Mar 1868 at St Mathias Church, Vepery, Madras to Anne Elizabeth WARD (b 2/10/1847 Bengal India d 22/5/1878 Coonoor Madras India). At some stage between her birth and marriage we assume that both her parents had died and she ended up in Military Female Orphan Asylum, Poonamallee Road, Chennai, and still exists, known as St Georges Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School & Orphanage. Their Children
1. Archibald Charles MacGregor Ferguson (b 18/8/1873 Chennai or Coonoor India d 9/1/1931 India). 1st Marriage 28/11/1900 Negapatam, Madras, India to Mary Hannah Kathleen Mcgowan Frank (b 1879 d 22/9/1901 Negapatam, Madras, India) no children. 2nd Marriage 28/7/1919 Bangalore India to Gladys Ivy Ross (b 3/12/1891 Rangoon Burma) they had 3 children: i) Archibald Owen Macgregor Ferguson (b May 1920 Nagpur, Bengal, India 19/5/1920 Nagpur, Bengal, India), ii) Colin Archibald McGregor Ferguson (b 6/6/1921 India d 4/4/1999 Kulangoor, Queensland, Australia). iii) Dulcie Ivy Ferguson (b 8/2/1923 Bangalore India d 10/3/1990 Royal Brisbane Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia)
2. Colin James MacGregor Ferguson (b 1875 Chennai or Coonoor India d 10/12/1899 of malaria, Pursewalkum, Near, Chennai, Madras, India. Lived in Mandarbari, Chittagong, India, and was a fireman on the Railways.
3. Elisabeth Marietta Anne Ferguson (b 22/9/1876 Coonoor, Madras, India d 5/9/1893 Pursewalkum Vepery, Madras, India)
At some stage between 1854 1861 Harriet (Charles Mother) took the remainder of the family to live in Chennai. 1861 Poodopettah, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. Charles occupation was in the Post and telegraph department & he became a Telegraph Master, then Postmaster General in Lucknow, until 1902 and received a Government Pension till the day of his death in March 1920. At some point between the death in 1878 and the birth of his first child with Alice Evelyn DAbreu he moved possibly with his job to Chittagong India.
Charles Robert MacGregor FERGUSON (B 12/9/1847 Bangalore India D 14/3/1920 Jolapret Salem Madras India) 2nd Marriage to Alice Evelyn (Emeline) D'ABREU (b about 1856 d 11/7/1920 Salem, Madras, India), unknown Marriage date or place although Chittagong is a good possibility, their children:
Florence Alice Ferguson(b 21/5/1892 Chittagong India Dec 1972 Chatham Kent), married Mark Anthony St. Clair Freiter and they had 4 children.
Dorothy Henrietta Ferguson(b 13/12/1893 Chittagong India d Sept 1962 Lambeth London UK), On 20/12/1922 in Calcutta India Married Harold Oscar Glasford (b 13/12/1895 Chittagong India 1960 Calcutta India, they had 2 children.
Archibald C FERGUSON (b 1862 Forbes NSW Australia d 15/3/1932 Merrickville NSW Australia) in 1888 at Cobar NSW Australia married Lousia Zoe LEPINE (b1868 d 13/11/1967).
Ada FERGUSON (b 1865 Forbes NSW Australia d 1941 North Sydney, NSW Australia). In 1884 Forbes NSW Australia married James Bertram COOMBER (b 14/8/1849 Carcoar, NSW, Australia d 13/3/1930 Marrickville NSW, Australia) They had one child:
Adeline Elizabeth Mar Coomber
Minna Agnes FERGUSON (b 1879 Forbes NSW Australia d 22/7/1954 Bondi NSW Australia). In 1899 Ashfield, New South Wales, Australia married George Herbert GIBSON (b 8/8/1846 Plymouth, Devon, England d 18/6/1921 Dartmoor, Gladstone Pde, Lindfield, New South Wales, Australia) They had 3 children
Archibald Charles MacGregor FERGUSON (b 18/8/1873 Chennai or Coonoor India d 9/1/1931 India). 1st Marriage 28/11/1900 Negapatam, Madras, India to Mary Hannah Kathleen Mcgowan FRANK (b 1879 d 22/9/1901 Negapatam, Madras, India) no children.
Archibald Charles MacGregor FERGUSON (b 18/8/1873 Chennai or Coonoor India d 9/1/1931 India) 2nd Marriage 28/7/1919 Bangalore India to Gladys Ivy ROSS (b 3/12/1891 Rangoon Burma, daughter of Owen Alexander Dowley Ross) they had 3 children:
Archibald Owen Macgregor Ferguson (b May 1920 Nagpur, Bengal, India 19/5/1920 Nagpur, Bengal, India),
Colin Archibald McGregor Ferguson (b 6/6/1921 India d 4/4/1999 Kulangoor, Queensland, Australia).
Dulcie Ivy Ferguson (b 8/2/1923 Bangalore India d 10/3/1990 Royal Brisbane Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia)
Colin James MacGregor FERGUSON (b 1875 Chennai or Coonoor India d 10/12/1899 of malaria, Pursewalkum, Near, Chennai, Madras, India. Lived in Mandarbari, Chittagong, India, and was a fireman on the Railways, Married Elizabeth CARDOZA (b about 1869 d 19/9/1912 Chittagong India) Their Children
1. Frank Joseph Ferguson (22/1/1896 Mandarbari Chittagong India d 23/6/1946 Meiktila Burma)
2. Alfred Macgregor Ferguson (b 25/12/1899 Mandarbari Chittagong India d 1944 Calcutta India)
Frank Joseph FERGUSON (22/1/1896 Mandarbari Chittagong India d 23/6/1946 Meiktila Burma) Occupation Government telegraphist. When Japan invaded Burma, Frank joined the British Army in June 1942. Lance Corporal Frank Joseph Ferguson Service Number TN/2033 - Burma Postal and Telegraphic Signals. He died of Coronary Thrombosis and was buried in Meiktila, War, Cemetery, Burma and then Reburied Taukyan War Cemetery Rangoon, Plot 21 Row J Grave 13. On 19/10/1921 in the RC Cathedral in Mandalay Burma, married Antonia Cecilia FREEMAN (b 18/1/1901 Mon State, Moulmein, Myanmar d 12/12/1986 Guelph, Ontario, Canada) They had 7 children.
On 8 March1942 Antonia and her 4 children started their evacuation trek from Mandalay Burma to Assam India. They arrived at their Uncles (Alfred Macgregor Ferguson) home in Guwahati Assam about a month later. In May 1942 Frank Ferguson on leave from the army arrived and took them to Calcutta.
Alfred Macgregor FERGUSON (b 25/12/1899 Mandarbari Chittagong India d 1944 Calcutta India) on 30/7/1920 Calcutta India married Nora Marie D'CRUZ (b 1901) no children. Alfred was a telegraphist).
info from Derek George Kingsley email@example.com & Neil Freiter firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Florence Ferguson (Flo)
Florence FERGUSON (Flo) married Mark FREITER and had four children.
Gordon (Bunty) Freiter.
Marjorie Freiter married Arthur Elliot and had two children: John, Jeannette.
Ian Neville Freiter emigrated to Canada, where he was known as Ian. He married Patricia Woolf and had four children, Barry Neil, Alan Duncan, Kevin Mark, Keith Douglas.
Information on pages contained in this website have been supplied by family members/researchers for the enjoyment and mutual benefit of all concerned.
The Administrator does not vouch for their accuracy.
Click on other letters below to see other Family Trees
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
For Additions/Corrections click here
Click here to go back to the Anglo Indian Families Home Page